Re: Shred Iterations

Masatran, R. Deepak <masatran@research.iiit.ac.in> wrote:
> Why does shred have multiple iterations (25) as the default option? I see no
> point in overwriting more than once. Is not
>
>     sudo shred --iterations=1 --verbose /dev/sda
>
> sufficient?

  Not if you *REALLY* want to get rid of something.. then again, if you
*REALLY* want to get rid of something on a harddrive, a strongly suggest a
very strong electromagnet and a power drill.

  It is a very expensive process requring specialized equipment, but it is
possible to retrieve data off of a formatted drive. The changes in magnetic
orientation on the platter leave artifacts behind.

  Cheers,
    Tyler