Re: Different ways of locking accounts

On 3/18/07, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 12:44:18AM +0800, Wei Chen wrote:

> Will there be problem if I lock an account with one program and unlock with
> another?

I don't know.  Why don't you try it and see? :-)

I just tried and the answer is yes. ;-) But I just realise that the usermod method
may not be preferred since the -L parameter is not found in the manpage.
Thanks.

> BTW, both methods lock shells as well as ftp and sftp. Changing the shell to
> /usr/sbin/nologin allows ftp but still prevents sftp.
> Is there a method that locks shell but allows ftp and sftp? Thanks.

I think that you just described it.  Change the user's shell to
/bin/false or something similar.

But changing the shell to nologin or false will also block sftp access...

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez