Re: tar vs

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 12:08:08PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 02:59:01AM EST, Adam Porter wrote:
> > I've read the man page, googled this list and the rest of the Net, but I
> > still can't figure out why this doesn't work:
> >
> > $ tar xjf *.tar.bz2
> > tar: beryl-core-0.2.0.tar.bz2: Not found in archive
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?  Why can't tar handle a wildcard list like that?
>
>   As a refugee from DOS/Windos/OS/2  etc etc.....I have a question.
>
>   What is Linuxs "obsession" with tar ? What is (are) the advantage(s) of tar
> over ZIP/RAR for example.

Well, there are a few:

 - tar has been around forever
 - tar is standard on pretty much every *nix system (which GNU tar
   becoming more common even on commercial Unices)
 - gzip provides better compression than zip (bzip2 is even better but
   it takes lots of CPU)
 - RAR is non-free and so many Linux distributions won't include it by
   default

Those are just a few.

Regards,

-Roberto