Re: A silly question about tar

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
[snip]

> I have the following shell function defined in my .bashrc which I use to
> extract the various archives I come across. It handles multiple archives
> on the command line. Usage is simple:
>
> $ x *.tar.gz
>
> x ()
> {
>     for archive in "$@"; do
>         case "$archive" in
>             *.tar* | *.t?z)
>                 case $archive in
>                     *.gz | *tgz | *.Z)
>                         TARFLAGS="--use-compress-prog gzip"
>                     ;;
>                     *.bz | *.bz2 | *tbz)
>                         TARFLAGS="--use-compress-prog bzip2"
>                     ;;
>                     *)
>                         TARFLAGS=""
>                     ;;
>                 esac;
>                 tar xf "$archive" ${TARFLAGS}
>             ;;
>             *.zip | *.ZIP)
>                 unzip -q "$archive"
>             ;;
>             *.deb)
>                 dpkg-deb -x "$archive" .
>             ;;
>             *.rar)
>                 unrar x "$archive"
>             ;;
>             *.cpio)
>                 cpio --extract --make-directories --file="$archive"
>             ;;
>             *.cpio.gz)
>                 gzip -dc "$archive" | cpio --extract --make-directories
>             ;;
>             *)
>                 echo "Unknown archive format" 1>&2
>             ;;
>         esac;
>     done
> }

Another handy little script.  I just love this list.  It's a lot easier
to type x *.zip or x *.rar than it is to right-click on a file and say
"extract here" over and over, or selecting a bunch of files and have 20
instances of ark start all at once.

Thanks.  I made one little adaptation so that it says it's doing
something.  I tried it on a directory full of zip files and it
uncompressed them so quickly that I thought it didn't work.  Of course
it did.

Joe

- --