Re: OT: Hardware Q's

On 03/17/07 00:34, Kent West wrote:
> My mobo died (running something like an AMD XP1700 - I forget the exact
> specs), and I'm looking for a cheap replacement.
>
> Newegg.com has a:
>
> Biostar GF61M7-combo 32 AMD Athlon64 3000+ Socket 754 NVIDIA GeForce
> 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Gnu_Raiz is correct: 754 boards are *trailing* edge tech.

That's "ok", and might be all that fits your budget, but try for the
fastest CPU possible in that 754 board, or go for an AM2 board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103032

> for $126 that looks promising
> (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?Item=N82E16813138042).
>
> I've spent the past few hours googling, trying to determine the
> suitability of the system for my needs running Debian, and seem to be
> getting conflicting answers. I'm hoping someone here has this board and
> can provide better info.
>
> I'm not a gamer; I use a TV-tuner card, run a dual-head setup, browse

Using on-board VGA?

> and email and inkscape and qcad a bit and might play something more
> complex than Freecell if I had the game and the horsepower.
>
> I've got a perfectly usable IDE drive, but I'm unable to determine
> absolutely if this mobo has both SATA connections and IDE connections.
> (Also, can you plug an IDE drive into a SATA connector? Is IDE the same
> as EIDE the same as ATA the same as PATA?) Or will I have to toss my

IDE == EIDE == ATA == PATA

> current IDE drive and spend more $ on a new SATA drive? And if that's
> the case, will I have to replace my power supply to get new connectors
> to fit the SATA drives? (I've never used SATA.)

Yes, you will.

> Can I use my current DDR200 RAM on the board, or will I have to scrap it
> in favor of DDR400?
>
> It appears the audio and LAN chip work with Linux, but I'm getting iffy
> results on the GeForce 6100 chipset (yes on Debian, but only with the
> vesa driver, etc).

Have you tried the nvidia driver?

Besides, with dual-head, don't you need a video card with 2 output
ports?