Re: What do I use to reconfigure the network /after/ initial install on Etch?

Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

> Celejar, let me ask you this, is it better to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> by hand to implement necessary changes or should one use
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg exclusively to build that file?

AFAICT, changes through dpkg-reconfigure will be preserved. But you
can change only some common options. For more complex changes you will
have to do it by hand and your changes will be overriden.

> What is the point of having all info stored in plain text files if one
> is supposed to only use tools to edit them?  They might as well be
> binary.  Or is it perhaps so other tools can easily read them?

The tools are useful for common stuff that should be preserved across
upgrades. It would be a PITA to do them again (by hand) every time. More
advanced changes need to be done my hand though.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)