Re: ram/amd64

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 04:13 -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Is any experience for 2GB ram modules (ecc,
> registered) on the motherboard Tyan S2895 Thunder K8WE
> (where installed two dual opterons) ?
>
> The motherboard' manual (both revision 1.00, my own,
> and subsequent revision 1.01) is said to support up to
> 16 GB, though I notice now that there is a small
> arterisk for 2GB modules not validated at the time of
> printing. No surprise that they could not validate
> 16GB as they officially support Micrisoft only).

You will find that Debian *WILL* indeed support greater than 4GB. I have
multiple machine with more than that. Debian (in fact many Dsitros do as
well) supports it just fine, though a 64-bit machine and a 64-bit
version (x86_64/amd64) is better equipped o utilize more than 4GB.

> At any event, should the experience be negative, any
> suggestion for another mainboard to support 2 dual
> opterons and 16GB ram? Preferably from where support
> to Linux is given (thus, no Tyan Europe)

Tyan supports Linux, you should just try a LiveCD and see what it finds.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup