Re: scripting

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Thursday 15 March 2007 17:36, john gennard wrote:
I'm trying to understand Debian's startup procedure and
follow the relevant scripts. Where can I find a tutorial
on scripting?

For example, /etc/init.d/rc - I can roughly understand
what is happening (the comments often indicate the way), but
the finer points are obscure. I've found a tutorial written
in 2000 and a number of other things which appear to relate
to bash scripting, but none show many of the words used in
/etc/init.d/rc. Does each Distro create it's own words?

I realise I shall not become expert, but that's no reason not
to try to reach a certain level. Can someone indicate the way
to a 'beginners guide/tutorial'? A direct reply would be
appreciated - I've been subscribed to the list for ten years,
but have recently been forced to unsubscribe (over 100 OT
posts per day has become too much for me to deal with on dial-up).

John.

By coincidence that has been discussed today. Just do an.
apt-get install abs-guide

To use it, and I was clueless, just type a / into the webbrowser, and work your way down the tree to /usr/share/doc/abs-guide/html/index.html

Nigel.

Nigel,

I cannot find a package 'abs-guide' for etch. I've tried several different permutations (-guide, guide[too much!], abs-), nothing is found.

Is there is typo here or is there some other repository to add to sources.list?

Bob