Re: console based cd burning (wodim and burn)

>Most tools like k3b, nautilus and xcdroast are designed to be pretty
>front-ends to cdrecord.  Due to licensing issues with cdrecord, some
>Debian developers have created a fork called wodim.  My understanding is
>that wodim is a drop-in replacement for cdrecord.

There has been a lot of FUD in the last year, but there are definitely no
licensing issues. Debign knows that there are no licensing issues. If Debian
would belive the FUD with the "license issues", then did behave differently.

Cdrtools contain the following sub-packages (shortened and simplified):

	Package name	License
====================	==============
	cdrecord	100% CDDL

	readcd 		100% CDDL

	cdda2wav	99% CDDL, uses a few BSD files and a LGPL library

	btcflash	100% CDDL

	rscsi		100% CDDL

	scgcheck	100% CDDL

	scgskeleton	100% CDDL

	mkisofs		100% GPL uses some GPLd libs and two CDDLd libs

Note that the GPL was listed as "non-free" until about 4 years ago, it is
now accepted as a free license.

Note that the CDDL was listed as free license since it's early beginning in
January 2005. The CDDL is even accepted as free license by Debian.

If someone at Debian did have a license problem, it could only be with
"mkisofs" and for this reason, Debian would use a recent cdrtools with the
exception of "mkisofs".....

If you read the GPL carefully, you will find out, that the GPL allows a GPL'd
program to depend on non-GPLd libraries as lons as the code in these libraries
is not "derived" from GPL'd code.

Judge by your own why some people spread the FUD about the "license problems".

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)