Re: Sound on Linux?

Celejar wrote:
> The default groups to which new users are added (when created with
> 'adduser --add-extra-groups') is specified in '/etc/adduser.conf' by
> the line beginning 'EXTRA_GROUPS'; the default does include 'audio'. On
> my Sid system, the (non-root) user that I created during install
> belongs to all those groups, but a user that I created subsequently
> isn't, presumably because the installer used the '--add-extra-groups'
> option and I didn't.

on sarge, however:
$ grep EXTRA /etc/adduser.conf
returns nothing;

on etch, however:
#EXTRA_GROUPS="dialout cdrom floppy audio src video lp src users"
# If ADD_EXTRA_GROUPS is set to something non-zero, the EXTRA_GROUPS
#ADD_EXTRA_GROUPS=1
#EXTRA_GROUPS="dialout cdrom floppy audio src video lp users"

ie. all commented out, ie. you have to modify adduser.conf

Johannes