Sound stopped working after upgrade.

Dear all,

Recently I did an apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade. This
included an upgrade to kernel 2.6.18-4-amd64. After rebooting sound
stopped working. lsmod still shows the right driver being loaded and I set
the volume to a nonzero value using kmix. When I play (say) a wav file
noatum looks like it is playing something, but I do not hear anything.
Also other programs (e.g., planet penguin racer) are without sound now. I
am using the testing distribution for amd64. Does anyone know what the
problem could be and how I can solve it? I have an Soundblaster live 5.1
24 bits.

Best wishes,
Chris