Re: OT: a dumb query? pls humor me

Tarek Soliman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 08:27:30PM +0100, Joe Hart wrote:
>>
>> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

>>> Well, English has the concept of a neuter article (the).
>>>
>>> the dog --> el perro
>>>
>>> That is what I was referring to.  I am not sure I got the point across
>>> properly.
>>>
>> my dog, your dog, her dog, his dog, its dog, our dog, their dog. That is
>> all of the personal pronouns referring to possession of a dog.
>>
>> In Spanish you have one more.
>>
>> It is extremely impolite to refer to people as an it, so his or her are
>> the only ones left.
>>
> It french and spanish and arabic there are masculine and feminine ...
> nouns.
> So saying "The" has 2 ways "TheShe" and "TheHe"
>
> Table is feminine in arabic for instance. So it is "TheShe Table"
>
> English is gender neutral for the most part. The cat is "it". The woman
> is "she"
>
> French has 2 pairs of modifiers. One for male and one for female.
> "le" and "la"
> "un" and "une"
>
> I think spanish has "el" and "la" also.
>
> Arabic has the "el"  also (sometimes written "al").
> There is no "la". A trailing "a" at the end makes things feminine (kinda)
>
> German is messed up. It has 3 pairs of modifiers. "Der" "Die" "Das" and
> "Wer" "Wie" "Was". I have the capitalization wrong. German is one of
> those languages where capitalization means stuff. Nouns are Capital in
> german. Russian also has capitalization issues.
>
> My point is: I don't think you got what Roberto was saying.

I got what he was saying.  Let me give you an example:

ME:  I have a problem with my cat.  He won't eat. Can you help?

Roberto:  In English you can say The.  Spanish -  El gato. = The cat.

There is no relevance.

Perhaps I should have just owned up to my mistake of calling a boy a
girl and leave it at that.  I already apologized.

Joe

- --