Re: Corrupted partition table/drive

J Merritt <brookvegas@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My goal was to erase the first three partitions (because I never used
> them anymore) and combine them into one large ext2 partition for more
> data storage.  (There were a total of five or six between the
> primary/extended.) Using the Ultimate Boot CD and XFDISK, I deleted
> the first three partitions, rebooted, and attempted to use the same
> utility to create one large ext2 partition. However, after it created
> the partition, XFDISK reported an error writing the partition data.
>
> The result is that none of the hdb partitions are accessible. I

Had similar trouble after erasing a partition with the Windows
partitioner. I used testdisk
(http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) and managed to recover
everything, but YMMV, do it on your own risk, ....

Beware that usage (at least for me) was not very intuitive. I was
missing only one partition. On the first run I managed to recover it,
but lost all others due to misunderstanding the interface. I managed
to recover all of them on the second run though.

HTH,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)