Re: libc6 (?) related conflicts involving emacs21 and other packages

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 15:08:15 -0500, Charles Blair wrote:
>    This is an attempt to supply more detail on a problem reported in
> another recent post.
>
>     I have installed a dual-boot of etch and Windows XP on a recently
> purchased HP machine that has a SATA hard disk (i386).
>
>      Recently I have installed gcc-4.1 and emacs-21 using downloads
> of the "weekly build" iso images.  These seem to be working.
>
>     I asked aptitude to install gnumeric and got messages:
>
> ***  packages to be downgraded:
>
>      libc6        2.3.6.ds1-2.3.6.ds1-i
>      libc6-amd64     (same thing)
>      libc6-dev
>
>      packages being deleted due to unsatisfied dependencies
>
>      emacs 21     21.4a+1-3
>
>      packages to be removed
>
>      grub   0.97-23
>
> *** (end of aptitude messages)
>
>    This alarming response led me to exit from aptitude without
> trying the install.  I agree with a previous respondent that
> this is probably not a problem with gnumeric, since I got very
> similar messages when I asked about installing octave and also
> gnuchess.
>
>    Thanks for any ideas about how to deal with this situation.

Can you repost the version number of libc6 currently on your system? (It
looks like you are transcribing the messages rather than copy/pasting
them directly. "2.3.6.ds1-2.3.6.ds1-i" seems weird to me, did you maybe
make a typo? The emacs21 and grub versions are OK for an up-to-date Etch
as far as I can tell.)

Also post the output of

apt-cache policy gnumeric

(This command will not change anything on your system.)

--
Regards,
          Florian