Checking GPG Signatures - Debian Keyring is Huge !

So ... I just downloaded a Debian Sarge CD image, checked the MD5 sum
was okay, and then just for completeness figured I'd check the GPG
signature on the MD5 sums file ...

GPG told me I needed DSA key id 88C7C1F7 to verify the signature ...

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#verify tells me I can get the Debian keys
from http://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/ ... where the Debian keyring is
available for download as a gzip'ed file that's 13.1Mb in size !

Do I *really* need to add such a large keyring to my own keyring, just
to verify the dang GPG signature on a CD image ?

This is not good .......

I assume the "Debian keyring" contains the public keys of every Debian
developer there has ever been.  Surely there is a release-signing key
that Debian uses, that could be posted separately for download ?

Cheers,
Nick Boyce