Re: authentication failure

semgogo sem wrote:
> Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction...
> Using SSH , I cannot log in using root - I get 'acccess denied'. I can
> log in using a second account I have set up, however when I try su -
> root (and give root password) it fails and reports 'su: authentication
> failure sorry'.
Logging in via ssh as root is a no-no; it's thus disabled by default in
Debian (although you can over-ride it by changing the "PermitRootLogin"
line in "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" -- but I don't recommend that).

It works for me to login via another user and then to "su - root". I
hate to mention the obvious, but you are typing the correct root
password, right (no CAPSLOCK, etc)?

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>