Re: SATA - How to access disk ???

ieb wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list (and to Debian) so Ihope I'm not breaking
> protocol here by attaching a related question to this thread  (However
> some groups want all separate questions even if they repeat very nearly
> that of another, if this is the case here then I apologise).
>
> I too can't get the boot sequence to read the SATA, but I've determined
> that in my case (and possibly the original posters) it's because the
> initrd image doesn't contain the device file for the disk.
>
> I am struggling to build the initrd image.
>
> Some background:
>
> I have been a 'user' (rather than technical administrator) of linux for
> about 6 years running various flavours of Mandrake - with MNDRK-10 since
> it was released on my old PIII-dual processor box.
> 3 weeks ago I decided to upgrade both my OS and machine.  I bought a
> brand new fast PC with AMD64 Athlon - 300gig SATA - and onboard NVIDIA
> chips, without pausing to think about driver support. With
> Mandrake/Mandriva's drive to 'sell' packages and support I decided it
> time to dump them.  I got the full set of Debian Sarge 3.1r5 [but for
> the i386 rather than 64bit AMD] to go with new machine.
> Cutting a long story ... couldn't get it to work.  Downloaded kernel
> that someone else had built with SATA support... it worked but no
> graphics (no NVIDIA).  Decided to build my own kernel based upon 3.6.8
> for 64bit.   Compiled for NVIDIA/SATA/AMD-64/etc....  (NOTE very steep
> learning curve - 'in at the deep end' - never done anything similar
> before  - but seems to have worked).
> BUT... still wont boot because can't 'see' the SATA... have rooted
> around and detremined that it fails still within the RAMDISK. The image
> doesn't contain a device entry for the disk so it can't see it.
> Have read 7 different versions of how to create a ramdisk image for the
> initrd, but they are all confusing to say the least ... and I can't get
> it to work.
>

> Can anyone help with a plain-english 'idiots-guide' for this idiot?

Ian,

1) You don't need to post messages twice, although this was probably an
oops.

2) You'd be much better off with Etch on a new system.  Sarge is old.
Etch is about to be marked stable, so if you install it now, you'll have
a quite stable system with perhaps a few updates.

You can get the etch install CD or DVD from:

If you have a good internet connection, pick the daily net-install.  You
can also choose AMD64 version if you want.  That will give you all
64-bit apps rather than just the kernel.

Joe
- --