Re: Mouse can disappear from screen

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:18:59 +0100
Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 15:02 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

Normal is a relative term in this respect. It shouldn't be hidden and it
probably means that your monitors is not configured properly (in hardware, the
little buttons on the monitor).

If it's an LCD monitor then its some software setting though.

> > >     I believe so, yes.  A normal mouse pointer points up and left.  The
> > > hotspot, the portion of the icon which is where your clicks land, is all
> > > that the GUI worries about.  It is on the upper left side.  Since the
> > > borders stop the mouse at the hot spot if you move your mouse to the
> > > upper or left sides of the screen the hotspot gets there first so the
> > > rest of the graphic is still on the screen.  On the bottom and right
> > > sides the hotspot is the last to hit the edge so the graphic scrolls off.
> > >
> > >     I think the same goes for when you maximise windows but for slightly
> > > different reasons.  What is off the edge of the screen is the graphical
> > > edge of the window.  It's just a few pixels.  However since you're
> > > maximizing the workspace inside that border and the border is pretty much
> > > meaningless when it doesn't have to show you were the window ends
> > > (maximized, only one window to show in the first place) it is pushed off
> > > the edge of the screen to give you the maximum amount of space for the
> > > workspace of the window.

That is a settings things depending on the window manager and weather we are
talking about maximized or full screen.

The mouse can go off screen, the window isn't supposed to

> > >     Make sense?
> >
> > I tend to agree with you except, I think what the OP is referring to
> > might be a monitor that might not be adjusted properly. I've seen this
> > several times with monitors that have looked fine in windows may be
> > off center it mis-sized in debian. usually a few minutes tweaking the
> > monitor itself fixes it right up.

The window/linux issue is actually probably due to different resolution/refresh
rate. The monitor shows the window as a different size depending not only on
the resolution, but also on the refresh rate that the monitor is set to (you
can try to change the refresh rate under windows and see the results).

If they are both set to the same resolution/refresh you shouldn't see a
difference (although some windows drivers can change the position/magnification
of the screen).

> > .02

> I agree, and also the installation of the specific video card drivers
> and software may help, at least nvidia allows to "soft-adjust" the
> screen on the monitor. It is useful, and the only solution when the
> system is dual-booted (and the screen is fine with the other OS).

Not the only solution, again, you need to make sure that you match both
resolution and refresh rate.