Re: Suggestions about the Debian install process

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:42:51AM -0800, Michael M. wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 22:34 +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
>
> > What is a "Standard system" in Tasksel?
>

> According to this:
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apds02.html
>
> "Standard system" in tasksel takes up 365MB of disk space, whereas the
> minimal base installation will take 227MB.  I'm not sure, though, if
> there is a list of what is included in the former that is missing from
> the latter.

tasksel is implemented as a perl script in Etch. It has a man page
which is worth reading. The task options that I see when I run
"tasksel --list-tasks" are:

i desktop       Desktop environment
u web-server    Web server
i print-server  Print server
u dns-server    DNS server
u file-server   File server
i mail-server   Mail server
u database-server       SQL database
u laptop        Laptop
u manual        manual package selection

(The 'i's and 'u's indicate which have been selected on my
system. They may very well be different on other systems.)  I do not
see "Standard system" as a declared task option. Perhaps OP meant
"Desktop environment".

In any case "tasksel --list-packages <task>" lists the packages that
will be installed for any of the several defined tasks.

Since it is a perl script, perl support must already be in the base
system for it to be executable. (duh ;-) So, from the point of view
of some Linux users, the Debian base system is not truly 'base only'.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net