Re: Problem: Frequent temporary network outage on debian

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:07:03AM -0800, yzhh wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I have 3 debian linux machines on one subnet along with some other
> windows machines. (Only) resently (within a week), these linux boxes
> are suffering from temporary network outage while the windows machines
> goes well. Specifically, They lose connection with the gateway
> (pinging gateway fails) every a few minutes, and this network outage
> last for half to one minute.

that's weird.

> One of the debian machines also have windows 2k installed, when
> running w2k on that machine, the problem does not happen.

okay, probably not a hardware issue.

> All these indicate that some resent change on the network
> configuration have introduced compatibility problem between the debian
> machines and the subnet swithchers. (Since one of the debian boxes
> have not updated for more than a month, the probability that the
> problem is introduced in a resent debian update is low.)

so you're saying the problem came up within the last week, but one of
these machines hasn't upgraded for a month... meaning that its not
likely a debian change.

> But I just don't where to start to diagnose the problem, i.e. what
> logs to look in for possible reasons, what test to take, and what are
> possible solutions. The problem's random timing behaviour made it even
> harder.

well, look in syslog. if you're using dhcp, try the daemon logs and
perhaps, turn up your logging level in dhcp. If you're running dhcp,
trying switching one box to static ip and compare results. If you're
using dhcp, has your dhcp server changed in some way?

> So, if anyone has experienced such problem or has good suggestions on
> diagnosing, please do help me.

go through any system changes made in the last week with a fine
toothed comb. Pay special attention to the really obvous stuff that
can't possible be related to your problem... sometimes you'll be
surprised.

hth