Broken Package: tftpd-hpa

During my latest "apt-get update" on etch the package tftpd-hpa became
messed up.  Apparently the installation scripts were not able to stop
the old daemon or start the new one.  If I now try to remove the package
I'm advised that the package is in a "very bad inconsistent state," and
I am told to reinstall the package first.  However, "apt-get --reinstall
install" fails as described above.

I'd like to be able to see some detail on why the installation of the
new package is failing.  I've attached what I'm seeing now.
Preparing to replace tftpd-hpa 0.43-1 (using .../tftpd-hpa_0.43-1.1_amd64.deb) ...
Stopping HPA's tftpd: in.tftpdinvoke-rc.d: initscript tftpd-hpa, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
Stopping HPA's tftpd: in.tftpdinvoke-rc.d: initscript tftpd-hpa, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/tftpd-hpa_0.43-1.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Starting HPA's tftpd: in.tftpdinvoke-rc.d: initscript tftpd-hpa, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 71
 /var/cache/apt/archives/tftpd-hpa_0.43-1.1_amd64.deb