Re: Can I compile a hugemem kernel?

Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:

> Greetings-
>
> I seem to have developed a need for a single process (R) to use more
> than 3G of RAM. The system has 6G, and is doing virtually nothing
> else.  Is there a way to compile 2.6.18 or higher with the so-called
> hugemem patch under debian?

Do you need to compile your own kernel for some particular reason?

~$ apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.18-4-686-bigmem

[...]

This package provides the binary image and pre-built loadable modules
for Linux kernel 2.6.18 on Pentium Pro/Celeron/Pentium II/Pentium
III/Pentium 4 with 4-64G RAM machines.

HTH,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)