weird mdadm crash

Hello,

Have an etch box that does nothing but rsync data with another.
About every other day or so, the box will completely freeze.
Everything, screen blank, no keyboard, and the hard drive light
is on solid.
I can hard reboot it and it comes up, and there is nothing in the logs that
suggest anything.
The root system is an mdadm raid 5 array, and everytime I reboot
it from a crash, the array is always degraded. It auto rebuilds itself,
and away it goes again. A few days later, it will lock up.

I have no idea where to start looking for problems. I'm pretty sure its gotta
be hardware, but not sure where to look first.
Any suggestions would be great!

Thx,
Mike