Something's Eating all my RAM and Swap when I unmount a drive

If I unmount as a regular user, I see my RAM usage start to go through
the roof until my system chokes. If I unmount as root, it works fine.
This happens for both USB flash drives and regular IDE hard drives.
I'm not really sure what information is helpful, because I don't know
what part of the system could be causing the problem. I've googled
around, but I haven't been able to find anyone with a similar problem.
Strangely enough, when I run top and sort the processes by memory
usage, it doesn't show anything that's using all my RAM. Where could
it be going? As soon as I hit ctrl-c my memory usage drops back to
normal.

mount version 2.12r-19
Kernel package linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 (Same problem with my older
2.6.13 Kernel, too)
udev version 0.105-3

Any ideas?

Thanks,