Re: Thoughts on zsh? (was Re: vim like completion in bash?)

Chris Bannister wrote:
> I *too* would like to know how bash can do that. Is zsh worth changing
> to just for that? Yeah, I know "apt-get install zsh-doc" :-)

    Just for that?  Who knows.  I however switched to zsh quite a while ago
because bash just befuddled me.  It seemed like simple things that I learned
from my first shell account on Netcom were just not present.  Furthermore I am
a staunch believer that shell scripting is largely marginalized with the
advent of highly successful general purpose scripting languages like Perl,
Python and Ruby.  So any keen things bash can do in scripts don't interest me.

    zsh just worked out of the box for me.  My .zshrc file is extremely bare
with over half of it dedicated to single-line aliases.  So for me it was worth
it to switch since for me to learn bash or make bash conform to what I had
learned years prior was just too high by comparison.  Someone who thinks and
work as bash does might find that to not be the case.