user defined mime types, source highlighting

Hello,

I write code in Octave (a free Matlab clone) and I would like the source
files which have an extension .m to be recognized and automagically
highlighted in gedit. As of now I have to select Octave highlighting
myself every time when opening an octave source file.

I thought that creating a ~/.mime.types file with the contents:

# User MIME-TYPES and the extensions that represent them

text/x-octave           m

This however is not working because when I look at the properties under
nautilus it is listed as "Objective-C source code". Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.