Re: External Hard Disk in Debian

Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> 1. How to shut down? Simply unplugging the USB cable, after unmounting, is
> wrong, is it not?

No. Unmount, unplug. This is not child's play (like some other OS).

> 5. About encrypted partitions, and LVM: Are they readable, and writable from
> Microsoft Windows?

Ask them. Linux puts effort in supporting as many filesystems as
possible. The manufacturer of that other OS does not. (Specifications of
LVM and linux encryption are readily available, so it shouldn't be a big
deal to implement them in any OS.)

> 6. How to copy a NTFS partition to the hard disk? I checked Parted, and
> NTFS-3G but they doesn't appear to support this.

$ aptitude search ntfs
[...]
i   ntfsdoc         - documentation about NTFS partitions format
i   ntfsprogs       - tools for doing neat things in NTFS partitions

> 8. Any other information: Pitfalls, advice, comments, etc.?

Try google and other search tools. Look in /usr/share/doc.

Johannes