Re: OT: Politics and other non-Debian ramblings

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:56:49 -0500
Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:

> I said:
> > > I wonder if the Germans would suggest West Berlin, as well as the
> > > continued military occupation of Japan.
>
> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> replied:
> > How can you possibly claim that the occupation of West Berlin or
> > Japan is an example of the USA "going to war to expand our borders"
> > ?!
>
> Please show me where I "claim" that.

Ok, you wrote as follows:

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:54:04 -0500
Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:

> On Monday 05 March 2007 09:36, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> was heard to
> say:
> > Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> > > [the United States] have never gone to war to expand our borders
> >
> > The Native Americans might disagree with you ....
>
> As would the Canadians, invaded in 1776 and 1812 unsuccessfully,
> Mexicans (~1840) who lost half of their country, Spanish (~1900) who
> lost Cuba and the Philippines, or Hawaiians who lost their entire
> nation.
>
> I wonder if the Germans would suggest West Berlin, as well as the
> continued military occupation of Japan.

So:

1) Freddy said that the US has never gone to war to expand its borders.

2) Kent replied that the Native Americans might disagree

3) You said that [snip] the Germans might suggest West Berlin and the
continued occupation of Japan

The clear implication of your response is that West Berlin  and the
continued occupation of Japan imply that we went to war to expand our
orders. If you didn't mean that, then we don't disagree (about this
specific point).

> I said, quoted above, that I wondered what the German and Japanese
> people thought of it.

I have shown what your quote, in its original context, seemed to imply.
Again, if that's not what you meant, then we don't disagree.

Celejar