Re: OT: Politics and other actually Debian related ramblings

I wrote: Voluntary cooperation by interested individuals acting
without coercion.

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>
> That's communism.

Communism is an economic theory, anarchy is a political structure.

People can indeed come together to form a "commune" voluntarily. It
has happened. However, "communism" has nothing to do with private
property, to wit:

com·mu·nism
Pronunciation:
\ˈkäm-yə-ˌni-zəm, -yü-\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
French communisme, from commun common
Date:
1840
1 a: a theory advocating elimination of private property b: a system
in which goods are owned in common and are available to all as needed

Since I do not voluntarily agree to eliminate my private property to
the collective, and since in anarchy I cannot be coerced into doing
so, anarchy cannot be communism by definition.

As far as I can tell from the Debian policies, each developer owns
their own work. Debian is therefore not communist.

In practice, communism (outside of voluntary communes) breaks down
because individuals attempt to own themselves. By doing so
they "violate" the system of communism.

In anarchy, if I choose not to cooperate, no one else is effected. I
own myself first and foremost. I can choose to be more efficient and
cooperate with others in the "division of labor", or I can choose to
be less efficient and withhold my labor from the group and no one can
do squat about it.

The withholding of the labor of those Debian developers who objected
to the payments is, by definition, anarchic. They cannot be
compelled. If Debian were communistic, they would not be _able_ to
withhold their labors because they _must_ give to the
collective "according to their abilities".

Yes, I have read Marx. He was astoundingly ignorant. But he did
finally present a theory that allowed the creation of a word defining
the system of economics through private property: Capitalism.

Silly man thought he was being insulting.

Curt-

- --
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history