Re: Use Virtual Server or not?

redhat penguin wrote:
hi,
I've got an AMD 64 X2 5200. I wish to run 1 or 2 counter-strike server(s), Apache, MYSQL and maybe a mail server. My question is if i was to use a Vserver for cs server and a Vserver for all the Web servers(apache, mysql, mail) would this make my machine more stable and better running or would i not see that much of a difference? Thanks

Virtualisation is good for flexibility... for example take the OS running the web services down while keeping the CS server live... or running different environments, i.e. CS server running on testing, web services on stable. From a performance angle you need a bunch of extra ram, disk and processor time to do the same amount of useful work.

There are pro's and there are con's...

Cheers,

Daniel