Re: OT: sponge burning!

On 3/6/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

On 03/06/07 16:46, Al Eridani wrote:

> It's no myth. Educated people in general don't want to be in the military,
> they'd rather attend classes at the university. It's the same in the US
> and in Europe.

Since only 2.5% of the military-age US population is in the
military, you are, by definition, correct.

No, the percentage has nothing to do with it. The percentage of high-school
graduates in prestigious universities is lower still, but I don't think that you
want to make the argument that they'd rather be someplace else.

The military has to offer incentives to get educated people to join;
otherwise, they would find themselves without soldiers.

The prestigious universities have to put up barriers to limit the influx of
educated people; otherwise, they would find themselves overwhelmed.