From: Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:52:17 PM
Subject: Re: Raid shuts down uncleanly?

Land Haj wrote:
> I did this:
>
> cat messages | grep shutdown
>
> but it reveals nothing useful in regards to the problem, nor does the
> rest of the file. The only messages listed at shutdown time are:
>
> Mar  6 20:15:13 greengoblin shutdown[3244]: shutting down for system reboot
> Mar  6 20:15:21 greengoblin kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
> Mar  6 20:15:21 greengoblin kernel: Kernel log daemon terminating.
> Mar  6 20:15:22 greengoblin exiting on signal 15
>
> Can the shutdown not be logged in some other, more detailed way?
>
> Gratefully,
>
> landhaj

That's because the file has multiple lines, not all of which have the
word shutdown in them, but which may be related.  So, you need to use an
editor or pager (vi, gedit, less, more, ...), search for 'shutdown' and
then look at the lines following and/or just before it, for possible clues.

Bob

Finding fabulous fares is fun.