Re: OT: Politics and other non-Debian ramblings

Curt Howland wrote:

> On Monday 05 March 2007 21:57, Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> was
> heard to say:
>> > As would the Canadians, invaded in 1776 and 1812 unsuccessfully,
>>
>> 1812 was a success.  They just couldn't hold Washington for more
>> than a day because a hurricane and the invasion crossed paths.
>> Called on account of weather throwing artillery back uprange at
>> the invasion...
>
> Hehehe, yeah, well, I was talking about the other way around, the US
> trying to invade Canada, not the fact that Britain kicked US butt.
> But, as before, the British found the stiff local resistance (and
> indeed weather) too much to hold on to over time. Like the US in
> Vietnam.

I'm willing to argue that Vietnam was worse for us than 1812 was for Canada.
They at least made it all the way to the capitol and successfully captured
it before resistance and (primarily) the weather squashed the invasion.  I
don't think we had quite that much success in 'nam.