Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

s. keeling wrote:

> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
>>
>>  No problem with state health insurance, as long as it competes
>>  *directly* with private ones.
>
> I'd have no problem with that, assuming I can opt out of paying into
> your system, and none of my taxes go to pay for your system.

Everybody's standard of living goes up when some things are a given.  Your
idea pretty much ensures to continue the national healthcare failure that
is the state of American healthcare.  Sure, America's a great country to
get care if you're really, really sick and really, really rich (extended
hospital stays and all the specialty stuff American healthcare does well at
makes it extremely easy to rack up $million+ bills with only a very small
portion covered by even the best private insurance).  I'm obviously not
alone in having the opinion that it's probably better to be dead than be so
far in debt that you'll live in absolute destitution for the rest of your
life.

> Why is it I can't buy private health insurance in Canada?  Because the
> state controlled system needs a monopoly to make it work at all.  That
> speaks volumes.

Because everybody needs healthcare and everybody's already paying taxes.