Re: Installing vim 7.0

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 04:14:44PM -0800, kevinold@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 5, 6:10 pm, Andrew Sackville-West <and...@farwestbilliards.com>
> wrote:

> > > I did not, but my main question is, why is it trying to delete my
> > > kernel and not install a new one?
> >
> > how have you set up your sources.list? and how about apt_preferences?
> >
> > might be worth your time to jump into aptitude's interactive mode
> > (just aptitude, no parameters, on the cli) and marking some packges as
> > manually installed.
>
> Haven't looked at apt_preferences, but my sources.list looks like:
>
> deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ stable main
> deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ stable main
>
> ###############
> ### TESTING ###
> ###############
> # Testing (Soon to be Lenny)
> #deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> # Testing Sources
> deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-
> free
> #Testing Security Updates
> #deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
> #deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>
> How should I have it set?  What options should I setup in
> apt_preferences?

with apt_preferences *not* setup, you are trying to move to etch
here. That's probably what's causing a bunch of stuff to get
removed. With more than one release's repository in your sources.list,
you should set-up apt-preferences with a Default-Release
option. otherwise the apt system will try to move you to the latest
packages available to it.

> In interactive mode for aptitude, what do you recommend doing?

check apt-preferences. something like

APT::Default-Release "stable";

wpuld be appropriate to run stable. then try again and see what
happens.