Running aptitude with a dpkg process still hanging around. Is it possible?

After I exited an 'aptitude remove' that froze, dpkg has been left in an
odd state.  It's parent is init so I can't 'kill -9' it however it has a
lock file which prevents me from running aptitude again.

I manually removed /var/lib/dpkg/lock and ran aptitude.  Aptitude
currently appears frozen -- just doing nothing.

How can I resolve this situation?  I suspect a reboot would clear things
up but is there another way?

-Jeff