sparse matrix computation package

I am trying to find a package for performing sparse matrix computations. All I
could find under debian is superlu and libufsparse. Both of which seem to only
solve sparse linear systems but not perform sparse matrix-vector computations
(I need to implement so iterative and multigrid methods for block tridiagonal
matrices, so banded matrices as appear in lapack too many extra zero lines).

libufsparse seems to have a libcsparse which seems to be supposed to be able to
do this but there are no headers or documentation.

I prefer something that debian provides but will settle of an existing
library that will compile under debian.

If I'm asking on the wrong list I'd be glad if someone can point me to a better
one.

Thanks