Re: Wrong MB for Linux ???

Thomas H. George wrote:
On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 04:32:12PM +0000, Joe wrote:
Thomas H. George wrote:
Without research I purchased the ECS KA3 MVP motherboard AMD Athlon 64 AM2 combo from NewEgg.

This seems like a very nice MB in many respects but I have encountered two problems.

First, Standard CMOS Features does not list my dvdrw and cdrw drives. There are two ide headers on the board labeled ide1 and ide2 and I have two hard drives attached to ide1 and the dvdrw and cdrw drives attached to ide2. Only the hard drives are listed when I access BIOS Standard CMOS Features. On boot up the dvdrw and cdrw drives are shown as being at ODD0 and ODD1. Result: No entries in /dev for hdc and hdd so I can't mount these devices.

No offence intended, but someone has to ask: are you sure the drive
jumpers are correct? If they aren't, behaviour is undefined, and a
complete failure to see either is a possibility. Does either drive
work alone? If you move the cable to ide1 are they seen by the BIOS?
If you move the other cable to ide2 can the BIOS see the hard drives?
Do the optical drives work if you use the cable from the hard drives?
Obviously there will be no boot like this, but we just want to see
where the trouble is.

OK, Interesting results.
1.  Master and Slave settings are correct and always were correct/
2.  IDE cable for hard drives disconnected and IDE cable for optical
drives connected to header labeled ide1.
	Result: Optical drives listed in Standard CMOS Features as
	Channel 0 Master and Channel 0 Slave.
3. IDE cable for hard drives connected to header labeled ide2.
	Result: Optical drives listed in Standard CMOS Features but
	there is no listing (never was) for Channel 1.  As BIOS
	continues to load there is a screen message indicating that the
	hard drives are now HDD0 and HDD1.  Tried to boot up Debian but
	attempt failed, kernel panic.

I mentioned but did not desribe any interesting feature of the
motherboard.  The following are significant.

1.  The BIOS selection of devices for the boot sequence offers a long
list of choices for each of the first, second and third boot devices.
The usual sequence - floppy, cdrom, hard drive - will always boot from
the hard drive as BIOS does not find any cdrom drive.  HOWEVER, both the
dvdrw and the cdrw drives are identified in the choice list and can be
used.  If the sequence floppy, LITE-ON DVDRW L, Hard Disk is choosen the
system can be booted from a CD in the dvdrw drive.  Clearly BIOS knows
of the presence of the optical drives.

2.  BIOS also offers a sequence of the hard drives it will try to boot
from.  If, before power up, a usb jump drive containing Damn Small Linux
is inserted in a usb port BIOS will add it to the sequence of hard
drives to boot from.  It is possible to move any selected drive to the
top of the list so if the usb jump drive is at the top of the list and
no system floppy or CD is present the system will boot to DSL.

3. There are 6 SATA headers.  BIOS Standard CMOS Features always shows
Channel 2 Master, Channel 2 Slave, Channel 3 Master and Channel 3 Slave
even if no SATA devices are present.

4. When I had the IDE cables reversed and looked at the sequence of hard
drives to boot from the hard drives were listed as SCSI devices.

None of this information solves my problem.

Doesn't, does it?

It would seem that ide2 isn't behaving correctly. Whether that is due
to a fault or some really odd configuration, I haven't a clue. It might
be time to try searching the web for any mention of this MB. If it isn't
faulty, somebody must know something, as this certainly won't be
specific to Linux.

ECS rings a bell, though I don't suppose it helps. My son had one years
ago that really looked faulty from new, we couldn't get any reliable
drive recognition. Not like yours, this one wouldn't find the same thing
twice. When it found the hard drive, it would get part of the way into
an installation of Windows and die. It turned out that the answer was to clear the CMOS. No trouble at all after that, despite the fact that the
BIOS configuration screens looked exactly the same afterwards.

Maybe worth a try?