Re: Does debian support sata 750GB hard drive?

Michael Kerwin schrieb:

> I have built a Pentium core duo computer and can get debian to boot
> from the cd if it is an ide parallel drive but when I try it with a
> 750GB SATA drive it get to the point where it will try to boot from
> the cd rom and it can’t. I saw that someone had a problem with this
> before. I am trying to boot with the debian 3.1r5 netinstall for i386.
> Has the Sata problem been fixed yet?

That problem is still there. It seems to depend on the kernel version
used and the revision of the SATA chipset. I have a machine at home with
a VIA SATA controller about two years old - Etch and other distros find
it without any trouble. We have more recent Pentium machines at work
also with a VIA chip, newer revision - Etch does not recognize it,
neither do Ubuntu, Knoppix, Centos 4. Fedora 6 and SuSE work.
I guess there is no general solution, just trial and error.

Best regards,
Thomas