Re: Firestarter VS Shorewall

Andrei Popescu wrote:
I use ssh with X11 forwarding to manage the firewall.
With firestarter? How?
[snip X11 forwarding stuff]

If *that* isn't shooting a fly with a canon, than I don't know what
is.

[snip rant against console users]

You *really* do not read what others write ?
Just *read* it.
I do *not* rant against console users.
I *do* use the console.

Is it to complicated for you to understand, that
someone DOES use the console but DOES also
use the gui if the gui is easier in *his* opinion.

And please no senseless comments about
how easy this or that is.
If something is easier for me, then it *is* easier for me.

Please do not lie about my messages.

I DO NOT RANT AGAINST CONSOLE USERS !

Ok ? got it ? Really ?
if not.. read it again. and again and again.

I really have to say that my last message was
not really to discuss something. You just wrote silly stuff.
If I write how to use a gui program via
ssh and you write about "shooting with canon",
then you did not get it.
It is supposed to be used that way.
Why do you think is the gui behaving that way ?
Why do X-Servers exist ?
Why not do it the windows way ?
Do you ever *think* ?

"IMHO firestarter is only useful if you already have X installed"

Ok.
So you have a desktop without X ?
Or what ?
Do you really try to tell me that any admin will
admin his servers from a pc without a desktop ?
Are you ... ..
No. I will not use such words.
But really. I dont think you are worth to talk to.
I will now start looking if my programm can filter users.

If this is a multi-purpose machine which already runs X for some reason
then no problem, but having X installed on the firewall/router just for
configuration purposes is bad security practice.

That is nonsense.
Did you understand what I told about ssh ?
Do you want to tell me, that ssh is unsecure ?

Ok. it is late at night. But I *really* need a filter for your messages...

Hopefully I will not ever read anything about you.