Re: Help w/failed Sarge install - Dell 8400+SATA

--- Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

> Peter Farley wrote:
> > --- "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> You really should be using Etch.
>
> > Well, some of us prefer not to live at the
> > bleeding edge.
>
>     Sometimes when you have bleeding edge technology
> you need bleeding edge on your distro to make it
> work.

"Bleeding edge technology"?!?!  I bought the Dell 8400
as-is and used (from the Dell bargain area) over two
years ago.  "Bleeding edge" it ain't.

<Snipped>
> Given that Windows /generally/ has better hardware
> driver support than Linux on the newest hardware if
> XP needed patching then Sarge might just be a
> tad too old to take advantage of the SATA drive.
>
>     Unpleasant, maybe.  Dems da facts, yeah.  :/

If a 2+ year-old machine is "bleeding edge", what does
that make the latest Dell quad-core game monsters with
dual-X1900 video cards?  Now *that* is what *I* call
"bleeding edge".

C'mon, a simple old system like a Dell 8400 should be
long-since supported by stable code, even among the
volunteer community.

FYI, the FC6 install disk sees all my drives, no
problem (though I grant you this, FC6 *is* more recent
than sarge).

However, I may give it one more try with Etch just to
see if it's better.  But I'll probably be using FC6
before that.

My $0.02USD only, you are certainly entitled to your
own.

Peter

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time