Firefox: Converting URLs to kill backslashes

I have a maintenance manual for an antique car that, unfortunately, can
best be viewed with a certain insecure browser on a non-free OS.  I've
found the main issue with using this in Linux is that the file names
are all stored as relative URLs with backslashes between the directory
levels instead of slashes.  Firefox does not recognize the filenames
for only this reason.

Most of the links to specific pages and .pdf files are in .swf files.
(Konqueror doesn't work well with this, although Firefox does.)  At
this point, doing a massive search and replace to update all the files
to use a regular slash won't work.

Is there some way I can tell Firefox to accept a backslash in a file
name for local files the same way it accepts a slash?

Thanks!

Hal