Re: Emailing the system messages to me

On 3/2/07, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 15:51:12 +0000
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

[snip]

> >> i have think about that, but my PC does not have a reverse lookup
> >> name, so I think the email will be returned, I think i need to
> >> configure exim, postfix, or sendmail to send email via an account
> >> using a login and password, to use an authenticated smtp server.
> >>
> >> am I right?
> >
> > exim can certainly handle the mail for you, but maybe its easier to
> > just set it
> >
> > root: guillermo
> >
> > or whatever your local account is.
> >

> Not if he needs to read it from elsewhere.
>
> Exim4 can certainly authenticate, what I'm not absolutely sure of is
> how. Here's a couple of bits from the exim4.config.template, one
> router and one transport section:

[snip]

> It happens that the ISP in question expects Auth SMTP on port 587,
> but some accept on 25 and some on both. You only need the port if
> it won't accept on 25. Some want TLS, some don't.
>
> You also need to set up a passwd.client file in /etc/exim4 with the
> server name, user and password separated by colons, one account per
> line. There should be a sample file there already.
>
> I won't swear to it, but I think that's all that's needed. It's
> certainly most of it, and exim's logs are good if there are problems.

[snip]

Using Exim to relay via a smarthost can be most simply done by
'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config', selecting the smarthost option and
providing the smtp host's name (and port), and editing passwd.client as
above. You don't need to manually edit any other config files. If
you're only using one smarthost, which is most probably the case for a
typical home user, then you can just omit the hostname and enter an
'*', which can save you lots of trouble with Exim's various DNS /
reverse DNS checks.

This was great! now is working thanks to all.
regards,

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."