Re: Xfree86 problems, sarge/woody

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 13:47 -0800, Arlie Stephens wrote:
> > These errors (and the warnings above) indicate that you need to load the
> > framebuffer driver for nvidia cards, "modprobe nvidiafb".
>
> Hmm, looks like it's time to really display my ignorance. Is this a
> driver in the sense of kernel driver - and in particular, a kernel
> driver that's loaded dynamically and not built into the main kernel?
> Or is this a "driver" in some sense specific to X?

It's a kernel driver, or module, it's usually dynamically loaded in
Debian.

> I'm inclined to presume the former - but if so, well, the system is
> running on a kernel that was current when 'woody' was still the stable
> release of debian. Did kernels of that generation even have this
> driver - or am I looking at a need to upgrade my kernel in order to
> use this version of xfree86 on this system? (Or perhaps more correctly
> - in order to use it without much hand tweaking of files that
> dpkg-reconfigure can't seem to get right - since commenting out
> various things in XF86Config-4 did get X basically working.)

From your error message, if you didn't change the X configuration I
would guess that it used to be loaded automatically before but wasn't
after some update. Putting it in /etc/modules would fix that.

I think it's included in both woody and sarge, but if memory serves me
right, I think it used to be called rivafb? Anyway, "locate nvidiafb"
should find it (if the locate database is up to date).

Anyway, If you got X working without this, I wouldn't bother with it too
much...

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson