Configurable files and functions

I am looking for an explanatory list of configuration files used in
sarge 3.1. The information I am looking for would give the location
(path), function (what the system uses it for), and whether the file
can be successfully changed by editing.

Does such a list exist?

I have in mind such files as .bashrc and .bash_profile and I am sure
there are many others that I will encounter.

Is it time for me to buy a reference book containing this info? If so,
which one? I do plan to upgrade to Etch as soon as it is the stable
release, so if a book is available for sarge, would it be useful for
etch?

Thanks all
Dave W.