Re: usb audio device & sound card

On 03/01/07 21:43, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Mark Grieveson wrote:
>>> Hi.  I have a cheap usb audio device for Skype, and a regular
>>> sound card for the rest of the computer.  I'm using Etch.  I
>>> would like to be able to get sound when browsing the
>>> internet, or listening to music, or watching movies, from the
>>> soundcard, while simultaneously being able to use the usb
>>> audio device for Skype.
>
>> I created a file in my home directory named .asoundrc with the
>> following contents:
>
>> pcm.!default { type hw card 1 }
>
>> ctl.!default { type hw card 1 }
>
> Thanks again for this suggestion.  I did have a brief glimmer of
> hope when messing around.
>
> I tried this and it didn't seem to work.  I changed the file (ie,
> making one of the entries read "card 0" instead of "card 1", and
> it still didn't work (restarting after each change.)  I proceeded
> to mess around, without success.  Then, I deleted the file,
> restarted, and IT WORKED perfect.  The sound card provided sound
> for all the applications, while the usb-audio-device (the phone)
> worked with Skype.  I then retested it by restarting the computer
> once again, and, alas, it went back to normal, that being the
> usb-audio-device (the phone) providing sound for everything, and
> the sound card providing sound for nothing.

Sounds like your cards are sometimes 0 and sometimes 1.

A udev rule (or 2) should fix this.

> The fact that I can't get sound working properly for this
> computer and its devices has my Windows friends laughing at me
> (sound, apparently, is a "basic", and if Linux can't even handle
> that, well, "what good is it?").  So, to help me regain a bit of
> dignity, please share any knowledge you may have with me.

How many times have they been burned with viruses/worms/trojans/
bots/etc?

Here's maybe a bit of a brag: When they go away for the weekend or
longer, do they come home to a huge "pile" of mail waiting for them
on the ISP mail server?

On my system (and that of many others), Linux automatically fetches
for me and my wife, our mail, then spam filters it and sorts into
multiple folders (for me, 2 dozen; for her 4).

We could take a trip around the world, and as long as the power
doesn't go out for more than 20 minutes (the strength of my UPS), my
machine will fetch our mail for us.  And if I install a "secure
IMAP" server or Apache and SSL, I'd have access to my own email
without having to worry about a lacking-in-functionality ISP web
mail system.