Re: Newie questions about security

Jordi wrote:

> Hello Paul
>
>> RFC says stealth should never be used.
>
> And if I don't use stealth, what do I use? I thought by what we talked
> here that ports in linux are closed if I don't forward them.

Closed sends an actual closed response, stealth is like trying to talk to
Terry Schaivo.  You might be able to tell they're there, but no response at
all.

>> Firestarter and other Linux based firewalls are when you want to build a
>> firewall for your network.  You cannot build a firewall for just the
>
> Yes I want a firewall for all the network

OK, just making sure we're clear on that.  A lot of Windows users claim to
be firewalled, then you get to talking to them and it turns out they got
duped by the wannabe firewall of the week.

>> Follow the relevant RFCs.
>
> What is RFC?

Standards documents for the internet.  I used to know the relevant one for
this case...