Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Paul Johnson wrote:
Freddy Freeloader wrote:

When did this change?  I lived in Oregon for more than 20 years and at
that time all you had to do to be required to pay Oregon's income tax
was to live in Oregon.  I lived in the Milton-Freewater area for years
and worked just across the border in Walla Walla.  I paid Oregon income
tax on every penny I earned.

Not sure when it changed or if it ever changed and you just paid taxes you
weren't required to.  When I worked in Vancouver and lived in Wood Village,
the only income taxes I had to pay was federal and Multnomah County. Likewise, Washington residents working in Oregon currently pay Oregon income tax on their Oregon income (something they complain about).
Combine that with Washington's higher gas prices, Vancouver's lack of public
transportation, sales tax, and if you want to work, Oregon income tax,
you'd have to be high to live in southern Washington and think it was a
good idea financially...

I wouldn't have paid if I didn't have to. I lived in Oregon from 1967 to 1998 and it was the law that if you lived full time in Oregon, you paid Oregon income tax on any earnings, whether or not they were earned in the state of Oregon.