Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 09:39:58PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:35:24PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Hybrids are not supposed to get great mileage on the highway.  Their
> > forte is stop-and-go city/suburb driving.
> >
> Which is why I said that they were surprised when the hybrid did not
> live up to the manufacturer's outrageous claims for highway mileage and
> then was even *less* for city driving.  Of course, this was three years
> ago.  The technology may have improved a lot.

the reality of a hybrid is that its still using a gas powered engine
to get the car down the road. sometimes it takes the power form the
gas engine and sticks it in a battery for use later, but no matter
*what* all the power going through the wheels of that car comes from a
gas engine. Granted, its a smaller gas engine, in a smaller vehicle,
with a little regegerative braking, but that's it. My uncles old chevy
sprint *still* gets 50 mpg after over 200k miles on it. go figure. we
could have cut our gas consumption a whole heck-of-a-lot a long time
ago, had we so chosen.

plug-in hybrid is what I see as the best option for US driving
habits. efficiency short range, but long range capacity.