Re: Audio recording hardware

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [070228 18:21]:
> > I remember reading an article in a German audiophile magazine about a
> > device to demagnetize CDs. The author claimed the sound to be much
> > better after demagnetizing.
>
> Demagnetize something that relies on lasers?

With a mass-produced CD, there is nothing to degauss.  A reflective
layer of aluminum is deposited on a plastic substrate.

Are you sure the article wasn't talking about the realm of analogue
tape?  Magnetic tape playback heads tend to become slightly magnetized
with use, so that periodic demagnetizing is necessary.  This is
somewhat akin to the need for periodic degaussing of a CRT.  But since
the introduction of ferrite heads, this may no longer be a problem.

RLH